Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Worst UI Ever? Error Messages Part 2

I can't take credit for finding this one but it is a great example of how not to treat the user. I won't bother to repeat all my thoughts here but you can read them in the comments of the original blog.

However, I will take a moment to summarize what should be a global philosophy for anyone creating software. Here it is:

"Software is a tool to be used by humans to accomplish something. It is NOT a tool used by computers to accomplish something."

When you step back and think about it, it seems obvious. I buy and use software because I need to accomplish something (editing photos, paying bills, communicating with friends) in a way that is easier than the way I used to do it. The last thing I want is to feel like I am driven by what the software wants from me.

If a person said, "write your phone number down for me" and I wrote 555.555.5555, (555) 5555555 or 555 555-5555 then they would have no problem understanding that. If they said to me that when they think of phone numbers, they think of the format (555) 555-5555 and then asked me to write it in that format I would laugh and not expect to actually have to do it. I don't think it is asking too much of the software developer to implement that kind of logic. Some human-like logic is hard to implement obviously but some isn't. An when it is done, it can have a huge impact on the opinion a user will have of your software.

5 comments:

JAlpino said...

I get a 404 when I hit the link.

Flapflap said...

http://www.mollerus.net/tom/blog/2008/01/put_the_form_field_validation_where_it_belongs_in.html

;)

TJ said...

lol, classic

Rob McKeown said...

I fixed the link. Sorry about that

Bruce said...

Today,we are proud to announce the launch of the new wedding support service sell ffxi gil,packed with features sure to sell ffxi gils delight adventurers across Vana'diel looking to exchange eternal vows with their beloved!Responding to player demands for greater customization,the new service will grant brides and grooms freedom in choosing location,timing,dialogue,and sell Final Fantasy XI Gil more for their ceremony,allowing them to create a truly memorable event all their own.Information on all the features,including in-game sell ffxi gil item vendors and wedding certificates,can be found on the new wedding support site,so head on over sell ffxi gils and get started planning the wedding of your dreams sell Final Fantasy XIGil!