If you are developer the solution is shown below.
So I enabled the SOAP service and figured it would be simple to hook up Flex to the Jira SOAP Webservice. Using the tools to generate all the necessary code in FlexBuilder I assumed I would just implement the calls to get the data and I would be off an running. Unfortunately that was not the case.
I started with trying to just list the projects from Jira and was confused when the only data coming back was the project description. After about 5 painful hours of digging into how the generated code works. I noticed that there was code in the Base[servicename]Schema that defines the complex type for RemoteProject... which defined the sequence of properties in a different order that they are being returned by the Jira SOAP webservice.
If you change the order in the definition to match the order in which they are being returned all seems to work.
After fighting this for so long I decided I would submit the defect to the Flex bug site only to find out that it was already there. UGH!